Tax Free Weekend is Friday, August 3 — Sunday, August 5. It began at 12:01 a.m. on Friday and will end Sunday at 11:59 p.m. This means tax free weekend is going on right now.
The following items are exempt from taxes in Florida:
- Certain school supplies that are $15 or less per item
- Clothing, accessories, and shoes that are $60 or less per item
The clothing and accessories part of the exemption can get a little confusing. Qualified clothing includes apparel, footwear, and some accessories. But qualified accessories do not include watches, jewelry, umbrellas, athletic gloves or shoes, corsages, cosmetic bags, elbow pads, any gloves for sports, skates, wigs, or handkerchiefs. Qualified accessories do include items such as hairbands and ponytail holders, belt buckles, bow ties, barrettes and bobby pins, hair clips, scarves, ties, coin purses, purses, fanny packs, and wallets.
Qualified clothing (that costs $60 or less per item) includes items such as:
- Aerobic & fitness clothing
- Baby clothes, diapers, and diaper bags
- Bicycle helmets for youth
- Baseball cleats, fishing vests, hunting vests
- Swimsuits & coverups
- Bowling shoes
- Hats & caps
- Scout uniforms
- Shirts, shorts, etc.
The following items are NOT exempt from taxes in Florida:
- Any item of clothing that costs more than $60
- Any school supply that costs more than $15
- Personal computers and computer accessories purchased for business purposes
- Any rentals or leases, even if the items are eligible
- Repairs or alterations of eligible items
- Any eligible items sold in a theme park, entertainment complex, airport, or public lodging